visitors since September 20 1997
Contents: Introduction | Civil Registration | Parish Registers | Censuses | Societies | Monumental Inscriptions | Land Registry | Links | Other Related Channel Islands Sites
Alderney's records are rather fragmentary and have not been kept in a
standard format throughout. In all of them there is a gap during the German Occupation of 1940 to 1945 (prior to which
the Island was evacuated) and some of them do not survive before 1945 as
they were left behind and probably disappeared during the winter into barrack
However, there is some good news. The Island has a Family History Volunteer who has copied all of the records, both Civil and Ecclesiastical (except censuses), and all enquiries are send to her, so there is no need to write to several places for information.
Please address all enquiries to Mrs Eileen Mignot, 8 St Martins, Alderney.
Mrs Mignot's predeccessor Mrs Peggy Wilson has also drawn up 280 family trees which she has categorised as old Alderney families (108), Breakwater families (150) and others (22). The old families include Duplain, Gaudion, Hougez, Le Vallée, Ollivier and Pezet (Island names), Audoire, Batiste, Barbenson and Renier (of Huguenot extraction) and Le Cocq, Le Mesurier and Sebire (of Guernsey extraction). The Breakwater families came during the construction boom of the mid 1800s and many stayed.
Births from 1850 - missing May 1871-Dec. 1874. There is a hand-ruled
book of declarations, from August 1850 to December 1874, that can be used
to fill this gap. Deaths from August 1850-1855, 1907 onwards. Hand-ruled
book of declarations from October 1855 to December 1874. Gap 1875-1907.
Marriages from 1886 (from St Anne's Church). 1891 onwards from elsewhere
on the Island.
Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1925 to date only
H.M. Greffier, The Royal Court House, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2PB.
Telephone (01481) 725277. Office Hours 9.00 a.m.to 5.00 p.m - personal visits 2.00-4.00 p.m. only - £1 admission to Strong Room.
RIGHT: The 'new' St Anne's Church (built 1850) - only the clock tower and cemetery remain of the original parish church.
The Church of St Anne: Baptisms 1662-1902 with annotations copied from an earlier (missing) book commenced in 1628. 1902 to present day in Church only. Deaths from drowning and Burials 1652 to 1863. Succeeding Registers lost during the Occupation. Marriages from 1657-1886.
A link to The States of Alderney's own site about St Anne's.
Non-Conformists (Alderney only)
Catholic Church of St Anne & St Mary Magdalene: Baptisms March 1849-Oct 1952. Deaths January 1859 to April 1940 and two entries in 1946. Marriages from February 1852 to July 1924.
Methodist (English and French) and Presbyterian Church records prior to 1945 were destroyed during the Occupation.
The Alderney Society The Museum, High Street, Alderney GY9 3TG. See the official Alderney Society and Museum site.
It may also be beneficial to join The Family History Section of La Société Guernesiaise.
The cemeteries have not yet been transcribed but the War Memorial has - see bottom of page.