The DCSF International School
Supported by education departments and
devolved administrations across the
It is an accreditation scheme for curriculum-based international
work in schools. It is open to all UK schools and is free of
The international dimension in education is an increasingly
important part of agendas such as Every Child Matters and Community
Cohesion in how it supports the cultural heritage of teachers and
learners and positive learning across schools.
The ISA now features in Part One of the 2007-8 SEF for schools
in England as a 'significant award' that contributes to giving the
school a 'distinctive character'. More>>>
The ISA is also featured in the new curriculum guidance from
QCA, particularly with regard to the Global Dimension.
The ISA supports schools to develop:
- An international ethos embedded throughout the
- A majority of pupils within the school impacted
by and involved in international work
- Collaborative curriculum-based work with a
number of partner schools
- Curriculum-based work across a range of
- Year round international activity
- Involvement of the wider community
- Evaluation from a variety of sources allowing
you to improve your activities and your international
The ISA offers:
- a framework within which to form and develop
international partnerships and achieve curriculum goals.
- ideas for developing collaborative
curriculum-based international work with partner schools.
- recognition for teachers and their schools that
instill a global dimension into the learning experience of all
children and young people.
- opportunities to raise the school's profile
through local and national media coverage
support for delivering on the Sustainable School agenda. The
Sustainable Schools National Framework states that :
‘By 2020 the Government would like all schools to be models of
good global citizenship, enriching their educational mission with
activities that improve the lives of people living in other parts
of the world.’
You apply for the ISA online. To see
what is involved, just click here and take the test
Have a look the ISA events page, including
details of annual events and past events.
Their ‘'International School
Award’'… has had a very positive impact on developing pupils’
awareness of the cultures of other countries, while still promoting
an understanding of their own culture.